Friday, March 28, 2008

Mama B. Rest in Peace March 28th 2008

Today there is one less person on earth. Today there is a family mourning the passing of their mother, their sister, their daughter, and their friend.

Marie Louise Bortone was born December 20th 1949. The third oldest within her four sisters and one brother. She will be missed by all.

Marie was also the mother to four children. In order from oldest to youngest:
Allison, Bobby, Michael, and Andi.

Marie was also about to become a first time Grandma to twins in two months.

She enjoyed the world as a whole and accepted all of its creatures. She always stopped to smell the roses or look up and talk to the sky.

She loved God. Each day she spoke to him and although a lot of folks thought she may have been too religious, she enjoyed her silent conversations with him. She would always ask for his guidance and for him to protect all that she loved and cared for.

She also loved Watertown. That was her home. She was well known throughout the community and well liked by all who lived in it.

She was an amazing woman whose love knew no boundaries. Ever the caretaker, she spoke to her children each night over the phone and told them that she loved them. Whenever her kids would come to town she would drive out to the airport, no matter what time the planes landed.

Nothing mattered to Marie except her children.

In her short life she battled cancer three times and always gave it the fight of her life. Ever the comeback kid, that Marie.

She had always won until today.

In the weeks leading up to now she was not in any pain. In her own words "God took away all of my pain."

Gathered at her bedside, her children stood vigil over her. Their sibling bonds becoming increasingly tighter. They laughed. They cried. They loved.

Marie found much delight in her youngest daughter's pregnancy. "I'm a grandma!" she excitedly said. Each day she lay in the hospital fighting off the cancer that would ultimately claim her life, she lovingly gazed at the sonograms of her two granddaughters nestled deep within Andi's tummy. I believe this helped her fight harder.

In her final days she chose not to remain in the stuffy old hospital. She wanted to be with her family and so it was how she came to stay with her son, Bobby.

The night Marie passed away she was nervous. Maybe because she knew that it would be her final night and she worried about how her children would fare without her.

Later that evening she grew tired and fell asleep. She snored lightly and slept as peacefully as a windswept pond.

Everyone loves you Marie. We all miss you terribly. Thank you for everything over the years.

With love and sadness,
your son in law.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Marie's son in law. I'm sitting here and I can't really believe this. I know it's real, but it just doesn't mkae any sense. There are people in this world that drink, smoke, do drugs, and all types of other things...and those folks live into their 90's.

Marie didn't partake in any of that stuff. She was a vegetarian, didn't smoke or drink....

I miss her so much already. She was the only mom I had.

My heart goes out to the rest of the family. It's time to be strong.
I love you all.

Anonymous said...

Marie was one of the nicest people that I ever came into contact with. She will be missed by so many. I love you Marie!
Jen Gaudette

Anonymous said...

It's hard to put into words what the world lost today in losing Marie. I have met a lot of people in this life, but none have been as self sacrificing as she. It's hard to believe someone can still exist today with such strong beliefs in God, in life, in love and most of all in other people. These traits are ones that Marie exemplified everyday through the love for her family, the love for her children, and through the love she showed us all. This Easter she told me how much she loved me, how proud she was of me and how lucky she was to have me in her life, but I told her I was the LUCKY ONE.
I will always remember the times we shared.
I love you - as you called me - your adopted daughter,
Maureen xoxox

Anonymous said...

My most heartfelt condolences to the family.

While we mourn our loss here on Earth, the angels are rejoicing in heaven as one of them has come home.

Rejoice in God's presence, dear Marie. Thank you for leaving us many great memories of caring and kindness.

Love and miss you lots,
Priscilla

Anonymous said...

What an amazing woman. Marie brought sunshine to everyone she came in contact with.

I knew Marie as the most loving, caring, and happy mother I have ever met. She was always so encouraging and saw the best in all. I always felt so welcome in her home.

I am going to miss Marie so much, and know I will talk to her often. We can all consider her a guardian angel now. She will watch over us all.

My nieces will know their grandmother loves them so much, she gave them life; Passed away to make them grow stronger and healthier.

We love you Marie; We miss you. Love Casey

Anonymous said...

Marie was a wonderful person that no matter what, had a positive attitude. She loved life & her children & never wanted to give up. I have known Marie for many years we met in High School & then our children became friends also. I will truly miss her stopping by my house to visit me and offer words of kindness & encouragement & to play with "Jack" the dog who also loved her & will miss her.

My sympathy goes out to the entire family.

Marie may you finally rest in peace...I love you.

Sandy Baker

Anonymous said...

If anyone is a guardian angel it is you Marie. I imagine that you will continue to help people now, as you always had throughout your beautiful life here. I think that your children are wonderful people and they are lucky to have had such a caring, dedicated and amazing mother in their lives. Although you will be deeply missed I hope people can take solace in the fact that you will always be with them in spirit. Rest well Marie!
Love Always,
Carol Chaisson & Family

Anonymous said...

Andria, Bob, Mike and Allison,
I am so sorry for your loss!! Your Mom always had a smile on her face and a kind word to say!! She was like Gods little helper on earth, always trying to spread his word!! She loved everyone and everyone loved her!! Everytime I would bump into her she would always kiss my forehead and tell me she was proud of me! She had a great way of making everyone feel special!! You were so lucky to have such a great lady as your mother!! She is now your angel looking out for all of you!! Heaven is a better place today with her!!
I am so sorry for all of you!
Elizabeth Dragone

Anonymous said...

I will remember Marie Bortone as one of the most genuine and caring women I have ever met, with more faith in God than most. I will always remember that any time I would travel back to Maine she would make sure that I had a St. Christopher medal in my car….and if I didn’t she would be sure to give me one. I will remember that ever Sunday we would awake to a loaf of fresh bread on our doorstep without fail…dropped off by Marie on her way back from church. I look back and laugh at the time she squirted Heather Watson with Holy water for having a fresh mouth as we drove down the road. Who drives with a squirt bottle of Holy water in their car? Marie : ) She loved unconditionally and as many have said, she made you feel special. This world was a wonderful and better place with Marie Bortone in it, but now we have a guardian angel in Heaven watching out for us all.

My deepest sympathy and love,
Heather

Anonymous said...

I will never forget the time I had gotten really sick and had an awful rash dotors couldn't figure out. Marie caught word and rushed right over, holy water in hand. I laughed at first when she wanted to sprinkle me with it...oddly enough I got better...???

Marie is probably the kindest person I knew and I am saddened by the loss. I will miss her greatly and know that she will continue to watch over us all. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Love,

Gina Baker

Anonymous said...

One thing I will always remember about Marie was her smile and how loving and giving she was. Nothing was too much for Marie, anything anytime, she was there, and of course so was her smile. I mourn this day for all that knew and loved Marie. My deepest sympathy to her children. Your mother was a wonderful women who is now in peace now with god.

With Love
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss......Your mom was one of the kindest women I have ever met....Every time I would see her I wouldn't be done with the conversation for at least 45 min. When she would ask "how are you and the fam doing" she truly meant it and wanted to know; not just striking up anything to say. You guys should be proud to have such a loving and caring woman for your mom! She will be missed! -Darlene

Anonymous said...

It is so sad that the world lost such a beautiful angel on earth. I am so sorry for you guys. Your Mom was like no other. Kind, inspirational, caring - such an amazing woman. She was like a second mom to me growing up and she will not soon be forgotten by the many peoples lives she's touched. Stay strong, you know she's want that. And know that she'll still be with you everyday. My love and prayers go out to the entire family. Love, Nicole

Anonymous said...

My Aunt Marie has been a great strength and core of our family. She was generous and caring and her spirit would fill any room she entered with her love for life and other people. I am only sorry that I was unable to attend the services. Aunt Marie will be missed but will continue to live on in my happy memories of fun-filled family gatherings. She has touched so many lives and in the words of my daughter, her seven year old great niece " There wasn't enough time to spend with her"

With Love,
your niece Kim

Unknown said...

Nice Information
Watertown Kickboxing